Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Friday, April 29, 2011

Quote-Lovin' Friday

Via

I have another quote I would like to share today:

“When we're incomplete, we're always searching for somebody to complete us. When, after a few years or a few months of a relationship, we find that we're still unfulfilled, we blame our partners and take up with somebody more promising. This can go on and on--series polygamy--until we admit that while a partner can add sweet dimensions to our lives, we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter.” - Tom Robbins


While I am not at a period in my life where I am looking for a relationship (obviously I'm pretty happy with the one I got) I can really relate to the part about being "responsible for our own fulfillment."  It is up to each of us, not the people around us or the people we are with, to create and cultivate the meaning in our lives.  I find myself often leaning too much on my husband, friends, or family members rather than striking out on my own and finding my own meaning/purpose in things.  This quote serves as a good reminder to me personally.

I often share this quote with friends of mine that are struggling with the concept of love and how it should fit into their lives and in their journey.  This quote sums up my feelings on the issue quite well.  Plus this author, Tom Robbins, is just plain amazing.  His writing style is a bit strange but if you're up to the challenge, I highly suggest "Skinny Legs and All" to start out with.

~~~~~~

Rob is going on a field trip with his Forest Ecology class (yep, it's just about as exciting as it sounds) on Sunday so I'm going to head into the "big city" and do some more shopping for summer.  Though, as many of you have read, I have developed quite a summery closet, I'm still on the lookout for some more new staples and some more new skinny jeans (why didn't I discover these sooner?!)

Inspired by Sarah over at anonymous was a woman, I bought this dress from Chloe Loves Charlie a few days ago:

Find this dress here!
When I showed it to Rob, the first thing he said was, "Wow, that would look great with Chuck Taylors." So I figure I'll either pair it with those or with some cute black ballet flats.

If you've never heard of Chloe Loves Charlie I highly recommend it - a lot of cute feminine pieces there.

~~~~~~

I wish you all a very happy weekend!

4 comments:

  1. i love the dress! that's the perfect summer date night dress ;)
    i really like that quote--it's so important to remember that you and only you are responsible for your own happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love inspiring quotes! They really can change your life by giving one a new perspective! Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A terrific quote. As a Christian, I believe only God can truly complete the emptiness we feel. . . Reminds me of a lyric by Plumb. "There's a God-shaped hole in all of us."

    SQUEEEE! A new website with sweet dresses! Thanks for sharing. I could've sworn this one was from ModCloth.

    - La

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to have found your blog! I love your writing style, and your photos are great : )

    I'll bet that dress looks awesome with your pixie cut! (That comment kind of makes me feel like a stalker. Sorry.)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.