Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Fall Reading List

Photobucket
Yes, I'm still reading this book and yes, our living room/closet/etc. is kind of messy.

You guys, I have been working on this compilation of Bradbury stories for months now.  Just admitting it makes me realize how rarely I read these days, which in turn makes me want to make more time for reading, then I get sleepy from stressing so much and just want to take a nap.

Anyway I figured I'd share with you some of the books in my "To Read" pile.  It keeps getting bigger and I'm hoping the guilt will motivate me to read blogs less and read books more.

1. Rez Life by David Treuer.  Written by a Native American (Ojibwe) novelist, this is a memoir that focuses on the author's childhood and life on the Leech Lake Reservation in Northern Minnesota.  I found this at the one non-chain bookstore in Santa Fe, and bought it because I realized that I know close to nothing about life on reservations or life as a Native American is the modern-day United States.   Plus I love memoirs.

2. Loud in the House of Myself by Stacy Pershall. This is another memoir recommended to me by my therapist because the author is (apparently) anxious/depressed and high-strung and tattooed and quirky, which reminded her of me.  I'm pretty excited about this one actually.

3. The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II by Iris Chang. Can you tell I like nonfiction? I got caught in the Wikipedia rabbit hole one day and started reading about the Nanking Massacre.  I don't know about you all, but I had never learned anything about this horrifying period in Chinese history and reading about it totally fucking shocked me.  I found this book at the aforementioned Santa Fe bookstore and felt like I should probably educate myself on it.

4. Death's Acre by Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson. This book is about the "Body Farm", a partially outdoor forensic science laboratory that's mostly comprised of rotting bodies.  Scientists working at the "farm" use the bodies to study decomposition and the effects of various climates/environments on human flesh.  Is it weird that I kind of want to visit it?

5. Room by Emma Donoghue.  My only fiction book on the list!  My sister Megan recommended this to me (and I believe it was recommended to her by our mother).  I believe it's about a kidnapping victim told from the perspective of the son she had with her kidnapper, but I don't know much else about it other than Megan really enjoyed it.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
The last two are eBooks which don't make for nice photos.

What are you guys reading this fall?

2 comments:

  1. I read the Rape of Nanking for a Japanese World War Two history class. After that you sills read Unit 731 by Hal Gold which is about the medical experiments the Japanese did on the Chinese. It goes really hand in hand with Nanking.

    Also War without Mercy by John Dower really puts the Pacific theater into really great perspective.

    I was obviously a history major.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Rape of Nanking for a Japanese World War Two history class. After that you sills read Unit 731 by Hal Gold which is about the medical experiments the Japanese did on the Chinese. It goes really hand in hand with Nanking.

    Also War without Mercy by John Dower really puts the Pacific theater into really great perspective.

    I was obviously a history major.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.